L-carnosine or beta-alanyl-L-histidine is a dipeptide produced from the combination of the amino acids alanine and histidine. It is naturally occurring in the body, with high concentrations found in the heart and skeletal muscles, nerve tissues, and the brain. L-carnosine levels in the body declines starting the age of 40. Other than age, stress and trauma also depletes the body’s L-carnosine concentrations.
L-carnosine is a very potent anti-ageing nutrient. It performs a very unique function of rejuvenating the cells, restoring cell vitality and extending cellular life-cycle. According to experts, L-carnosine is the only substance made commercially available which possess this extraordinary ability. The antioxidant protection from L-carnosine makes the cells more resistant to oxidative stress or “cellular rust” produced from damaging free radicals. This free-radical damage is the leading cause of premature ageing and degenerative (age-related) diseases. Also, protecting the cells against free-radical induced damage gives way for the numerous L-carnosine benefits for health.
- L-carnosine is a neurologically active compound that supports nervous system health. L-carnosine for the brain works in two ways, improving its blood supply and preventing neurological degeneration. This dipeptide has been clinically proven to prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease, depression, dementia, memory loss, and stroke.
- L-carnosine is a powerful chelating agent of heavy metals. It works by binding into heavy metals to render them inactive, not to cause any toxic effects to vital organs like the kidneys, brain, and liver.
- Studies have shown that L-carnosine supplements can protect healthy cells from the harmful effects of radiation therapy.
- The high concentration of L-carnosine in muscles promotes strength and endurance. Athletes and body-builders using L-carnosine supplements have been observed to perform better during intensive exercises.
- L-carnosine supplements appear to be valuable in the prevention and treatment of ulcers. Carnosine helps eliminate H. pylori, a bacterium strongly implicated in the development of peptic ulcer. It also has been shown to improve healing of gastric ulcers.
- L-carnosine benefits cardiovascular health and functions. It works by inhibiting the formation of atherosclerosis or the hardening of the arteries. Atherosclerosis is a major risk factor in the development of serious cardiovascular conditions like heart attack, congestive heart failure, and hypertension.
- L-carnosine is one of the best anti-ageing supplements that rejuvenates the body and restore its youthful vitality. It helps reverse ageing naturally supporting the cells to maintain its health processes like energy production and cell division.
- L-carnosine helps maintain a youthful look by slowing down skin ageing. It naturally prevents skin breakdown to minimise the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
L-carnosine Side Effects
Until today, there is no known side effect of L-carnosine use. L-carnosine anti-ageing supplements are generally safe and nontoxic.
Possible Drug Interactions
In animal studies, Carnosine has been shown to reduce the absorption of certain antibiotics. This however, is not observed in humans. To avoid possible adverse effects, L-carnosine supplements should not be taken together with antibacterial medications.