Maca (Lepedium meyenii) is a root vegetable that grows in the Andes mountain ranges of Peru. For thousands of years, maca root has been known to be a powerful libido enhancer for both men and women. It has also called “Peruvian Ginseng”. Maca is considered to be an adaptogen, a substance that increases energy levels, enhances endurance, and amplifies the body’s ability to handles stress and fatigue. Regular intake of maca supplements assists the different glands of the body to function well as to the production of adequate hormone levels crucial in normal body functioning. As an endocrine adaptogen, maca is helpful in hormonal imbalance-related disorders like sexual dysfunction, menopause, insomnia, depression, and acne.
Maca root is rich in Vitamins B1, B2, B12, calcium, phosphorus, fatty acids, carbohydrates, and proteins. According to studies, maca even have higher amounts of calcium compared to milk and dairy products. This nutrients present in maca root have the ability to calm the nerves, stimulate digestion, promote a healthier nervous system, and improve appetite. However, the active ingredients in maca that gives it the aphrodisiac effects are called macamides and macaenes.
- Maca helps in resolving sexual dysfunction by increasing libido in men and women. This function of maca had been established by the ancient incas.
- Maca is useful in treating infertility caused by low sperm count and impotence.
- The nutrient content of maca is very beneficial in the promotion of good mental function.
- By regulating the endocrine system, maca promotes overall health. Specifically, maca supports the functions of the adrenal glands which release adrenaline, a very powerful hormone that fights stress.
- Maca aids in stimulating metabolic functions.
- Athletes use maca root powder to develop stronger stamina and improved energy levels.
- Maca promotes good circulatory function and helps in faster wound healing.
- Maca is useful in treating anemia, osteomalacia, and rickets.
- Maca has an antioxidant property that slows the aging process and gives the skin a more youthful and radiant glow.
- Maca contains terpenoids and saponins that make it a powerful pain reliever.
In Peru, Maca is generally used as a powder derived from grounded dried maca roots. It is considered as a food and it is added to beverages, chips, cookies, and cakes. Maca is also manufactured as capsules and extracts. These new maca preparations are more in demand than maca powder worldwide. You can buy maca capsules and maca extracts in health supplement stores and the internet.
To achieve the maximum benefits of maca, it is recommended to be taken in large amounts. Recommended average daily intake of maca is 3,000 to 5,000 mg, equal to 6 to 10 capsules. Despite the large doses, maca is completely safe and with no known side effects.