Krill oil is the oil extracted from the krill, a shrimp-like crustacean that is normally found in the bottom of the cold oceans around the world. There are probably 500 million tons of krill living mostly in the Antarctic and the Pacific Oceans and only approximately 110,000 tons are harvested every year for different use. Large part of the harvested krill is being used in the production of krill oil supplements as it provides the same health benefits from fish oil. Either Antarctic krill oil or that derived from the Pacific Ocean, krill oil is a famous health supplement because of its two health promoting constituents: Omega-3 fatty acids and the antioxidant astaxanthin.
Indeed, both pure krill oil and fish oil contains the two important omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid. However, the best krill oil in the market is more efficient to use because it is readily absorbed by the body. The omega-3 fatty acid content of krill oil supplements has the same structure as the fats in our cell walls. It easily enters the cells and thereby easily utilized to produce the desired health effects in the cellular level. Another good thing about krill oil is that it doesn’t produce the fish taste after burping, an undesirable experience for fish oil supplement users.
Krill Oil Benefits
- Krill oil is a natural way to lower cholesterol. A krill oil study revealed that pure krill oil can significantly lower the LDLs or the bad cholesterol up to 34% and increase the HDLs or good cholesterol by up to 43.5%. It is also said to lower triglyceride levels.
- Krill oil revitalizes the body and gives it a more energetic and youthful feel because it is high in antioxidants. Apart from its astaxanthin content, krill oil also has additional anti-oxidants like Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and canthaxanthin. Anti-oxidants are substances that fight free-radicals that cause some diseases and speeds up the appearance of the signs of aging.
- Some preliminary studies suggest that krill oil supplements can alleviate symptoms of Pre-menstrual Syndrome (PMS).
- Krill oil is very effective in reducing the symptoms of arthritis.
- Regular krill oil use helps in maintaining a healthy nervous system and supports mental abilities like memory, learning, and concentration.
Krill Oil Side Effects
Krill oil side effects are mild. Reported side effects due to krill oil use include loose stools, indigestion, and diarrhea.
People with known allergy to seafood are not advised to take krill oil products. Also, individuals with bleeding problems should not take krill oil supplements without their Doctors advice. Also, patients under certain medications like anti-coagulants like aspirin, warfarin, and Coumadin, and Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs such as ibuprofen and naproxen should only take krill oil supplements under their Doctor’s supervision.